Posted in Alhambra Preservation Group, APG Events, Events, tagged Alhambra, Alhambra Preservation Group, APG, field trip, Tournament House, Tournament of Roses, William and Ida Wrigley on January 26, 2017|
Leave a Comment »
Join Alhambra Preservation Group on February 23, 2017 for a free tour of the historic Wrigley mansion in Pasadena that now serves as the headquarters, or Tournament House, for the Tournament of Roses. This tour will be co-led by APG’s very own vice president, Barbara Beckley, who is celebrating her 50th anniversary of being a Rose Princess. Here’s all you need to know about the tour:
Date: Thursday, February 23, 2017
Time: 3:00 p.m. (please meet at 2:45 on the home’s front porch)
Cost: Free! The tour is offered at no charge by the Tournament of Roses.
Location: 391 South Orange Grove Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91184
RSVP by February 21, 2017 at (626) 755-3467 or email@example.com
Parking is available in a small lot on the Tournament of Roses property or on adjacent streets. Please note that the tour will include stairs.
After the tour, we’ll stop by Twoheys restaurant in Alhambra for a no-host dinner.
Built in 1914 by chewing gum magnate William Wrigley, Jr, this Italian Renaissance-style mansion was considered one of the more modest homes on Pasadena’s “Millionaire’s Row.” The three-story mansion was built for $170,000 and has 22 rooms totaling 18,500 square feet of living space. Of the Wrigley’s six residences throughout the United States, Ada Wrigley considered this home her favorite.
Photo courtesy of the Tournament of Roses.
Read Full Post »
On a beautiful spring morning in early March, two dozen members and friends of Alhambra Preservation Group participated in a private guided tour of the famed Judson Studios in Highland Park. An internationally-famous fine arts studio specializing in stained glass, the Judson Studios building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a designated Los Angeles Historic-Cultural landmark.
With more than a century of operation since its establishment by William Lees Judson and three of his sons in 1897, the Judson Studios have produced a remarkable body of work for installation in religious institutions, commercial buildings, and private homes. Examples of their artistry in stained glass can be found throughout Southern California and the United States, including: the rotunda skylight at the Museum of Natural History in Los Angeles; Hollyhock House in Barnsdall Park and Ennis House in Los Angeles, both buildings designed by Frank Lloyd Wright; St. James Episcopal Church in South Pasadena; All Saints Episcopal Church in Pasadena; the U.S. Air Force Academy Cadet Chapel in Colorado Springs; and the Stanford Court Hotel on Nob Hill in San Francisco.
Although a local survey of their work has never been attempted, it is more than likely that a few Judson stained glass windows still exist on display in private homes in Alhambra. Two of the Judson brothers who originally established the family-run business in the early 20th Century and worked as artists and designers also built their own homes in Alhambra and raised families here. These two Alhambra bungalows still stand, on North Electric and North Marguerita Avenues, and many of the neighboring homes built during that same period also feature stained glass windows worthy of notice and attention.
Photo courtesy of Debra Boudreau.
Read Full Post »
Did you miss out on APG’s Fall Field Trip to the Storrier Stearns Japanese Garden in Pasadena? It’s not too late to enjoy the beauty and tranquility of this nearby historic treasure, listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
On Sunday, November 24, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. the Garden will hold its last Open Day of 2013. Admission is $7.50 per person in advance, and reservations can be made by calling (626) 399-1721.
The appreciation and adoption of Japanese design concepts and aesthetics began in this country in the late 19th century, and became a major cultural phenomenon through the first decades of the 20th century — up until the outbreak of World War II. The Storrier Stearns garden is a superb example of the many private gardens that contributed to that phenomenon – and one of the few that survive intact today.
This garden was created by Kinzuchi Fuji for prominent Pasadenans Charles and Ellamae Storrier Stearns, who allocated two acres of their large estate on Orange Grove at Arlington Drive – in the area where their tennis courts were located. Fuji spent 7 years designing and creating the garden, from 1935 to his internment in a Relocation Camp in April, 1942.
After a very long period of decline and neglect, the current owners, Connie and Jim Haddad, decided to undertake the restoration process, which has been ongoing for at least a decade. Their extraordinary contribution to the historical fabric of Pasadena has been recognized by official proclamation, as well as by feature stories in the Los Angeles Times and numerous photo essays in garden design and history books.
Here’s a little secret — if you “like” the Garden’s Facebook page, you can visit for FREE on November 24th!
Thanks to Dale Carlson and Christine Olson for providing beautiful photos of the Storrier Stearns Garden for this post!
Read Full Post »